Friday, May 25, 2007

Chuang Chau Bus Festival


Man, today was one of the best days I've had so far in HK. It was a public holiday f0r Buddah's birthday and also time for one of Hong Kong's most unique Taoist festivals. Its the annual bun festival held on Chuang Chau island and was totally mind-blowing. Every second street there was a parade (with lions, dragons, children on stilts, marching bands) and everywhere there were people, people, people. Best of all the rain has finally cleared and summer has arrived!!! Its like the first few weeks i have been here, high temps (around 32) and extreme humidity.














So sapped from the heat, we proceded to sleep on the beach after sundown for three hours before passing out again watching Cantonese opera (which is as boring as hell).
The end of the day culminated with the bun-climbing competition where participants scrample up this pyramid to collect as much buns as possible in three minutes. The higher up the bun, the more points it is worth. Unfortunantly I didn't take any photos cause I filmed it instead (which I can't post) so here is picture of the pyramid during the day.
Unfortunantly I missed oout on the chance to see Ben off. And with Tony and Karen living tomorrow, HK isn't going to be so fun anymore. Life goes on I guess.
As for me I'm still trying to work out my travel plans over the next month but I am planning to leave for Shanghai on Friday. Will keep you posted!
Matt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home